English Tourism Week 2021
The annual VisitEngland campaign, which runs from 22-31 May, highlights the importance, value and vast contribution of the sector to the UK economy, and celebrates its diversity and vibrancy. Making up 80% of the UK’s visitor economy, English tourism in 2019 generated over £100 billion and supported 2.6m jobs, is a major employer of school leavers and young people and an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation. And in County Durham, in 2019 over 20m people visited the county, spending £955m and supporting 12,133 jobs.
This year’s slogan is ‘Here for Tourism’, and as a destination management organisation working in partnership for 15 years to develop and grow the visitor economy, Visit County Durham is proud to be doing exactly that.
- Across the county there are around 1,000 tourism businesses, a high percentage of which are SMEs, micro enterprises and owner-operators, making up a vital part of the visitor economy. Durham’s small businesses are ‘Here for Tourism’
- The county’s heritage and cultural offer are in the top 5 highest rated aspects of a visitor’s trip. Durham’s attractions, museums and galleries are ‘Here for Tourism’
- The quality of the natural environment continues to be amongst the highest rated aspects of a visitor’s trip. Durham’s rural and coastal businesses are ‘Here for Tourism’
- With shopping and eating out amongst the top 5 activities undertaken on a visit to the county, Durham’s retail and food and drink businesses are ‘Here for Tourism’
- Suppliers to industry play an important role in the visitor economy, ensuring businesses have the support services they require. Visit County Durham Supplier Partners are ‘Here for Tourism’
Help put tourism in the spotlight and show your support during English Tourism Week, by adopting the #EnglishTourismWeek21 hashtag and sharing social media posts from VCDBusiness.
Find out more below about how Visit County Durham is ‘Here for Tourism’…